STOP DISNEY FROM TRADEMARKING DIA DE LOS MUERTOS! I am signing this petition to stop Walt Disney from appropriating and exploiting Mexican religion and culture.Dia de los Muertos is a religious observance during which people, and particularly native peoples, in Mexico, the United States, and abroad, honor ancestors and loved ones who have died. This important religious, spiritual, and cultural observance pre-dates the invasion of Mexico by the Spanish. We celebrate and honor our deceased loved ones by making altars and placing offerings of food such as pan de muertos baked in shapes of skulls and figures, candles, incense, yellow marigolds known as cempaxochitl, and offering prayers and the smoke of copal.
an article about this in case you’re itching for a quick source, there’s also some posted with the petitition
I am surprised that Disney went that far… that’s pretty far. Guess I should know not to be surprised by now…
for those who are being complete idiots and jerks about this. It’s NOT that Disney is securing the film title of “Dia De Los Muertos” I really could give two fucks if that was the case. It’s that Disney is TRYING TO SECURE RIGHTS TO EVERYTHING DIA DE LOS MUERTOS RELATED.
That is fucked up on soooooo many levels. It’s not their holiday and it’s not a trademark to them.
Please reblog and spread the word.
yeah read the articles ya’ll… it is not about just getting a movie title.
(And you know Disney is a major oligopoly member that is willing to trademark the hell out of everything. See: Seal Team 6.)
This is absolutely despicable, jfc.
- HuffPo. article
- Stitch Kingdom has a pretty comprehensive list of areas Disney is aiming to acquire rights to: Education and entertainment services, clothing, footwear and headwear, toys, games and playthings, and various foods. (It’s unlikely they will follow through with say, DdlM eggs, but they are certainly covering their appropriation bases.)
- SCPR article.
Walt Disney Company: Stop their application for the trademark of "Dia de los Muertos."
- Me: Hello?
- Telemarketer: Hello, is your mother home?
- Me: I have no mother.
- Her: Well can I speak to your father?
- Me: Yeah, which one?
- Her: Which one is home?
- Me: Well they're both home..but I don't think you want to talk to Carlos. He just went through a breakup with his boyfriend, Antonio.
- Her: Oh, so your fathers' names are Carlos and Antonio?
- Me: No, no! My fathers' names are Carlos and Mark.
- Her: So who's Antonio?
- Me: I just told you, Carlos's ex.
- Her: So Carlos was cheating?
- Me: Yes, but that's only because Mark was cheating with Edith, our neighbor.
- Her: So Carlos cheated only because Mark cheated?
- Me: No, he THOUGHT Mark was cheating.
- Her: So Mark wasn't cheating?
- Me: I never said that.
- Her: Yes, yes you did!
- Me: No I didn't.
- Her: Y-yes! You did!
- Me: Did what?
- Her: Y-you- Never mind have a nice day, goodbye.